· After the death of Emperor Xianfeng, who made Cixi his concubine, ordered the suicide
of the emperor’s regents and had her own son (whom she had with Xianfeng)
Tongzhi crowned as emperor.
· When her nephew was put on the throne, she she ordered him to reclusion
palace within the Forbidden City, isolating him from the world and leaving him see
nobody but his wife and servants, who were then either put to death or banished.
· Squandered money on luxurious banquets and expensive jewelry.
· Put her own interests ahead of the nation.
· Killed previously mentioned nephew through arsenic poisoning, as she could never
deal with the grudges she held against him ( out of sight out of mind they say...)